Friday, October 7, 2011

Church and State



It was February, 2009, and around 10:15 AM. I walked past St. Mary's Catholic Church in downtown Nashville on my way to my part-time job. The day was cold, gray and overcast. Late for work as I was, I saw the state flag wrapped around the angel statue's face, and knew that capturing the image was more important than getting to my job.

I had a little Panasonic point & shoot camera, the only digital camera I could afford right then, but it was enough. I think I must have drawn some attention from the passers-by as I climbed up the church steps to get the frame just right. This was very important, because even though the gray sky is the photographer's friend, one must take the time to get the story straight when shooting a candid photo. Was there no separation of church and state in the Bible belt after all? was what this image had me wondering.

The very next day, there was no flag. Someone took it down, and it has never been placed there again since. Was it because I so adamantly and visibly documented this moment in time? I will never really know.

---DR

No comments:

Post a Comment