Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Serendipity Cruise

I used to own a Panasonic Lumix LZ8 point & shoot, which I used as my first digital camera until I could afford a DSLR. After that, I never thought about the Panasonic again until a co-worker asked if he could borrow a camera. I lent him the Panasonic, not really caring if I saw it again.

A few months later, he confessed to me that he had lost the camera and been afraid to tell me. Before I could tell him I didn't care, I saw that he was holding out a box to me...with another camera, one he had bought to replace the Panasonic.

The replacement camera was a Samsung SL50. It didn't look like much, just your standard, consumer-grade point & shoot. It occurred to me to hold it against him that he didn't replace my camera with the same exact one, but then, I wasn't real happy with the old one anyway, remember? So, I didn't really care that I was down a point & shoot camera, but since I had a new one, I figured I may as well play with it.

The SL50 was smaller and thinner than my lost Panasonic. I quickly discovered that it shoots great video (which I never use) and that the image settings were more sophisticated and versatile. Soon, to my surprise, I was actually using it pretty regularly.

When I took a trip back to Massachusetts in August, the SL50 fit nicely in my camera bag. The day after I got to Boston, I ended up going out for a sunset cruise on a friend's boat; it was one of those serendipitous occasions when people who were usually busy with their lives had no plans. I had brought my Rebel 2000, but couldn't find film to load in it, so by default, I used the SL50 to take the following pictures. They have had very little, if any, touch-ups.


*IMPORTANT NOTE*

You may click on any image to engarge for better view, but please do not copy my images to paste on your site for any reason without my permission.

--DR









No comments:

Post a Comment